From: Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox depends on rust??
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:12:29
1 On 2017-06-22 07:43, Rasmus Thomsen <Rasmus.thomsen@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm using firefox-bin ( and libreoffice-bin ) on my laptop and I didn't have problems with either of them
3 >
4 > Regards,
5 > Rasmus
6 > -------- Original Message --------
7 > On 22 Jun 2017, 09:34, Danny YUE wrote:
8 >
9 > On 2017-06-22 07:23, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
10 >>> Does anyone knows why? Any idea?
11 >> The reason is in that fact, that many of it's components are in rust.
12 >> And since it was possible to dodge it until now, maintainers considered it is
13 >> not a way since now.
14 >>
15 >> And, by the way, it is not that many time to build rust, as you think:
16 >>> Thu Jun 22 12:34:00 2017 >>> dev-lang/rust-1.16.0
17 >>> merge time: 1 hour, 48 minutes.
18 >> Than was on 1.9GHz with hardly limited portage (MAKEOPTS="-j5 -l2",
19 >> NICENESS=18, ionice -c3, and cgroupped on cpu shares and ram).
20 >>
21 >> So, ~20 mins would be enough on non-limited portage and full power of that i7.
22 >
23 > Thank you all for replying.
24 >
25 > So it can be around 30~40 minutes or so on my i5 machine.
26 > Just it feels strange to install something large that I would probably
27 > never use myself.
28 >
29 > I am considering using binary package instead of compiling it myself.
30 >
31 > But I am afraid that using firefox-bin package would cause some
32 > dependency problem. I once tried libreoffice-bin, but found it really
33 > painful to resolve dependency issues during system upgrading.
34 >
35 > Anyone tried firefox-bin smoothly?
36 >
37 > Danny
38 > @mva.name>
39
40 Well, I ran into the same problem with libreoffice-bin *last time*, as
41 Alexey.
42
43 It seems that version number of libreoffice-bin is always smaller than
44 libreoffice. So dependency issue is always a problem with it.
45
46 I noticed firefox-bin only has *usual* packages as dependencies...
47 By the way what is the difference between compiled and binary firefox
48 from a user's perspective?
49
50 P.S. Someone told me that people in this list do not like top-posting.
51
52 Thanks.
53 Danny