From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Southbridge chip on laptop overheating
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 23:06:34
1 On 06/08/2015 03:47 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >
3 > are you sure it is overheating and not operating within spec?
4 >
5 > A lot of laptops have 'hot spots'.
8 I've had this laptop for a really long time, and it's getting hot where
9 I normally rest my right wrist while typing. I would have noticed this
10 shortly after I bought it way back when. When it heats up, I cannot rest
11 my wrist for more than a few seconds, that's not normal for this old beast.
12
13 I tend to use my laptop when it's updating and I've only noticed this
14 the last couple of times updating.
15
16 It may be different now that I've reapplied the thermal paste to the
17 northbridge & CPU. I've also picked up one of those cooling pads just in
18 case. I've set it up now to see if it makes any difference. I'll leave
19 the laptop running
20
21 Dan