From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems starting KDE
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 21:00:20
1 On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:13:16 -0500
2 Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > Jeff
6 > >
7 > > $ qfile libQtGui.so.4.7.4
8 > > x11-libs/qt-gui (/usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.4)
9 > >
10 > > Look at the date time that you built x11-libs/qt-gui (in your
11 > > emerge.log, or use genlop) and compare with said file.
12 >
13 > The files match, last compiled in the morning, two days ago, which is
14 > before I tried my most recent changes.
15 >
16 > Success - Recompilation of this file gets me a k desktop.
17 >
18 > Is there a good way to force-recompile an entire system's code?
19 > emerge -Dav system and emerge -Dav world don't seem to go down far
20 > enough in the hierarchy to recompile all dependencies.
23 That's a common enough problem but there doesn't seem to be much
24 portage can do about it.
25
26 Lower-level libs can easily trigger a rebuild for ebuilds that depend
27 on them, but the reverse is not true. For example, if you have some KDE
28 app that requires a recent qt version (and your installed qt is some
29 earlier version), then portage can't figure out to tell you to upgrade
30 or rebuild qt because the dependencies are the wrong way round for that.
31
32 You have to remember yourself when a Qt rebuild might be needed. You
33 can use sets help to help ensure you do rebuild everything in Qt, but
34 you have to remember when to do it.
35
36 xorg-server has the same issue, and the solution there is also
37 "remember to rebuild the xorg-drivers when you upgrade the X server"
42 Alan McKinnnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com