From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:33:17
1 On Monday 01 March 2010 18:08:05 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > On the other hand, from time to time I have show-stoppers, and then I
3 > cannot use kmail, or no KDE4 at all. And have to invest time to solve
4 > this. And there are these annoying things. Like Amarok being very
5 > unstable, and taking 5 minutes to start. What the heck is it doing in this
6 > time?
7
8 Fuck knows what amarok-2x does for the first 5 minutes. I *think* On my system
9 it scans the music directory, presumably to find updates that happened when
10 amarok was not running. Fair enough, can't argue that, but why is it so
11 *slow*???
12
13 Fuck also knows what the amarok devs are doing in general. I still can't find
14 a way to move stuff to an mp3 player like the old 1.4 version did. And the
15 library thingamagij still doesn't always update tags, or put tag changes that
16 it itself did into it's own database. It gladly accepts any changes you make
17 in the Edit Tags dialog, and tries to write them, even if it knows it cannot
18 do it (no support for that format, permissions, etc). Then, no warning or
19 message about this. Depending on which bleeding edge latest-svn commit build
20 you happen to get on any given day, this last might or might not tell you
21 something in the status bar.
22
23 For all the above reasons, and more, I have switched to clementine (it's in
24 portage). It's a Qt port of amarok-1.4 and has equivalents of all the music-
25 playing goodness that amarok used to have. It doesn't do tags, external
26 players, wikipedia etc etc, it just plays music. And you have to tag your
27 music by other means with eg kid3. I can live with that. At least it starts
28 and stays up.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com