From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:09:45
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 [KDE4 problems]
4 > And so on. But it's not so bad I cannot work with it (well, sometimes
5 > it is, and then I have to fix it, like when the password dialog no
6 > longer accepted passwords), and so I keep using it, waiting it to
7 > become really stable and usable.
8
9 And another weekend of KDE4 trouble. I rebooted after some upgrades, along
10 those were Qt and MySQL. Now, plasma-desktop crashed, also when restarting
11 it on the command line. So again I renamed the .kde4 directory and got one
12 from my last backup. The desktop came up, but kmail failed, due to akonadi
13 not finding its database. I thought it had to do with the mysql update so
14 I masked that one and tried to build an older version, but it did not
15 build. Now I see this was not the old version I had running, but something
16 in between.
17 Anyway, the problem was another one, I had to rebuild qt-sql.
18 I had some Qt blockers during the last @world update that the newest
19 portage did not resolve, so I did an emerge -1av $( qlist -I qt- ) - after
20 this, @world was updateable. Maybe this emerge -1 stuff was the problem, I
21 have no idea.
22
23 Then I wanted my last session back, as I had changed some things since the
24 last backup and I also wanted my konqueror sessions - no idea where those
25 are stored. So again I took the .kde directory (A) which was not working
26 and the one from the last backup (B), and moved files from B to A until A
27 was working again. And did so until I found which exact file was
28 responsible for plasma-desktop not running (it was share/config/plasma-
29 desktop-appletsrc).
30
31 I had to reboot many times, because when KDE4 was running and plasma
32 crashed, I had no way to log out adn had to restart the X server. And when
33 switching to a text console and back to the newly started X server, I get
34 an empty display on all consoles, probably due to the fglrx drivers. I
35 know that already, but as I did not got any other drivers to run, I am
36 stuck with ati-drivers. At least I have desktop effects and stuff running.
37
38 You can lose a lot of time with this. And I am wondering if KDE4 is the
39 right thing for me. On the one hand, I like it very much. And it is
40 getting better and better. I just discovered that I can tab windows, this
41 is soo cool.
42 On the other hand, from time to time I have show-stoppers, and then I
43 cannot use kmail, or no KDE4 at all. And have to invest time to solve
44 this. And there are these annoying things. Like Amarok being very
45 unstable, and taking 5 minutes to start. What the heck is it doing in this
46 time? And KDE4 is slow. That maybe another problem, something seems to be
47 wrong here, I'd expect the system to be faster, and not make any pauses
48 when emerge is running (niced to 19 and also ioniced). I do not want to
49 wait for seconds when switching desktops (sometimes its fast, sometimes
50 not).
51
52 Sorry for the whining,
53