From: "Abraham Marín Pérez" <tecnic5@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:49:12
1 burlingk@×××××××××.mil escribió:
2 >
3 >> -----Original Message-----
4 >> From: lunarcrisis@×××××.com [mailto:lunarcrisis@×××××.com] On
5 >> Behalf Of Henk Boom
6 >> Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:08 AM
7 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
11 >> On 16/07/07, Volker Armin Hemmann
12 >> <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
13 >>
14 >>> because gplv3 removes freedom?
15 >>>
16 >> As far as I remember from when I read it, it does not take
17 >> any freedoms which the previous versions did not intend to.
18 >> The purpose of the GPL is to protect the 4 freedoms. This
19 >> instalment just closes loopholes in the previous versions
20 >> which would allow these freedoms to be infringed upon.
21 >>
22 >> Henk Boom
23 >> --
26 > The four freedoms:
27 > Freedom 0: The freedom to run a program for any purpose.
28 > Freedom 1: To study the way a program works, and adapt it to your needs.
29 > Freedom 2: To redistribute copies so that you can help your neighbors.
30 > Freedom 3: Improve the program, and release your improvements to
31 > the public, so that the whole community benefits.
32 > For freedom 1 and 3 to work, the code must be open.
33 >
34 > Freedom 1 is just as important as the other three. Freedom one is
35 > almost eliminated in GPLv3. Freedom One is the freedom that was
36 > most whole heartedly expressed in the original manifesto.
37 >
38 > Freedom 3 is the one that GPLv3 is making most important now.
39 > It does so to the detriment of the other three.
43 I'm not very into licenses and hence my question may seem evident (or
44 even stupid) but still... does not Freedom 3 imply Freedom 1? I mean,
45 how can you improve a program without being able to study it?
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list