From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove much of java. Is this safe?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 03:48:52
1 On Sun, Sep 11 2011, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 110910 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> I converted two machines from icedtea (java6) to oracle-jdk-bin (java7).
5 >> I did in effect
6 >> emerge --depclean icedtea icedtea-web =virtual/jdk-1.6.0 =virtual/jdk-1.6.0
7 >> On one machine portage now claims that I basically don't need java
8 >> (see the output of --depclean below). Can this be right?
9 >>
10 >> dev-java/ant-nodeps
11 >> selected: 1.8.1
12 >> protected: none
13 >> omitted: none
14 >
15 > *** remainder snipped ***
16 >
17 > I recently removed Java from my system: all I seem to have lost
18 > is direct access to the help files in LibreOffice,
19 > which have a fully adequate PDF substitute.
20 >
21 > You can check each package in your list with 'emerge -cpv <pkg>'
22 > & see what it says requires it: if they only support one another,
23 > you can fairly safely remove them all.
24
25 Thanks. I did the check and then let depclean remove them.
26 allan