From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different build options for specific packages
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 09:09:24
1 On Friday 10 Feb 2017 22:19:48 Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > I read where someone did this but I can't find it now. I looked at the
6 > > wiki and did some startpage searches, no luck. Here goes:
7 > >
8 > > I generally let emerge build packages in parallel. This works because a
9 > > lot of packages are small and don't take long to build or much room
10 > > either. However, there are a few exceptions. For me, Seamonkey,
11 > > Firefox and Libreoffice cause issues. I would like those to build one
12 > > at a time instead of at the same time. I've had times where all three
13 > > have updates but having two of them at the same time occurs pretty
14 > > regular. I thought I recalled this needing to be in package.env but my
15 > > test didn't work. I put this in package.env:
16 > >
17 > > www-client/seamonkey MAKEOPTS="-j1"
18 > > www-client/firefox MAKEOPTS="-j1"
19 > >
20 > > Since I'm here, you can guess that emerge didn't like that. So, either
21 > > I'm putting that in the wrong place, the wrong way or something. Oh, I
22 > > looked at the wiki and I didn't see things like this. I just went with
23 > > what little I recalled which seems to be not correct.
24 > >
25 > > Can someone point me in the right direction here? Examples would be
26 > > nice because I may want to disable portage on tmpfs as well, for
27 > > Libreoffice at least.
28 > >
29 > > Thanks
30 > >
31 > > Dale
32 > >
33 > > :-) :-)
34 >
35 > I found another howto. That ended with this setup:
39 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/package.env
40 > www-client/seamonkey ../env/single.conf
41 > www-client/firefox ../env/single.conf
44 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/env/single.conf
45 > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
48 > root@fireball / #
51 > From my reading, I put the setting in the env directory file and the
52 > package names in package.env. Thing is, it still tries to build them
53 > both at the same time. Once I get these two to work, I'll add
54 > libreoffice to it.
55 >
56 > My first test gave a error message. I added the ../env/ part and it
57 > doesn't give a error but it doesn't recognize it either. I'm missing
58 > something. My eyes ain't real good today, allergies, so I may be not
59 > seeing something right.
60 >
61 > Dale
62 >
63 > :-) :-)
64
65 This is how I have configured per package FEATURES here and it seems to work.
66 For example configuring ccache for large packages which take days to emerge on
67 an old PC:
68
69 # cat /etc/portage/env/ccache.conf
70 FEATURES="ccache"
71
72 Now I need to point particular package(s) to it:
73
74 # cat /etc/portage/package.env
75 app-office/libreoffice ccache.conf
76 www-client/firefox ccache.conf
77 www-client/chromium ram_limit.conf ccache.conf
78
79 If I want more packages to use ccache.conf I add their name/version in the
80 /etc/portage/package.env file.
83 Regards,
84 Mick