From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD strategies...
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 14:47:36
1 On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 17/03/2020 14:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > > On 2020-03-17, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Same here. The main advantage of spinning HDs are that they are cheaper
7 > >> to replace when they fail. I only use them when I need lots of space.
8 > >
9 > > Me too. If I didn't have my desktop set up as a DVR with 5TB of
10 > > recording space, I wouldn't have any spinning drives at all. My
11 > > personal experience so far indicates that SSDs are far more reliable
12 > > and long-lived than spinning HDs. I would guess that about half of my
13 > > spinning HDs fail in under 5 years. But then again, I tend to buy
14 > > pretty cheap models.
15 > >
16 > If you rely on raid, and use spinning rust, DON'T buy cheap drives. I
17 > like Seagate, and bought myself Barracudas. Big mistake. Next time
18 > round, I bought Ironwolves. Hopefully that system will soon be up and
19 > running, and I'll see whether that was a good choice :-)
20
21 Can you elaborate on what the mistake was? Backblaze hasn't found
22 Seagate to really be any better/worse than anything else. It seems
23 like every vendor has a really bad model every couple of years. Maybe
24 the more expensive drive will last longer, but you're paying a hefty
25 premium. It might be cheaper to just get three drives with 3x
26 redundancy than two super-expensive ones with 2x redundancy.
27
28 The main issues I've seen with RAID are:
29
30 1. Double failures. If your RAID doesn't accommodate double failures
31 (RAID6/etc) then you have to consider the time required to replace a
32 drive and rebuild the array. As arrays get large or if you aren't
33 super-quick with replacements then you have more risk of double
34 failures. Maybe you could mitigate that with drives that are less
35 likely to fail at the same time, but I suspect you're better off
36 having enough redundancy to deal with the problem.
37
38 2. Drive fails and the system becomes unstable/etc. This is usually
39 a controller problem, and is probably less likely for better
40 controllers. It could also be a kernel issue if the
41 driver/failesystem/etc doesn't handle the erroneous data. I think the
42 only place you could impact this risk is with the controller, not the
43 drive. If the drive sends garbage over the interface then the
44 controller should not pass along invalid data or allow that to
45 interface with functioning drives.
46
47 This is one of the reasons that I've been trying to move towards
48 lizardfs or other distributed filesystems. This puts the redundancy
49 at the host level. I can lose all the drives on a host, the host, its
50 controller, its power supply, or whatever, and nothing bad happens.
51 Typically in these systems drives aren't explicitly paired but data is
52 just generally pooled, so if data is lost the entire cluster starts
53 replicating it to return redundancy, and that rebuild gets split
54 across all hosts and starts instantly and not after you add a drive
55 unless you were running near-full. One host replicating one 12TB
56 drive takes a lot longer than 10 hosts replicating 1.2TB each to
57 another host in parallel as long as your network switches can run at
58 full network capacity per host at the same time and you have no
59 bottlenecks.
62 Rich