From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD strategies...
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 13:49:39
1 On 17/03/2020 14:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-03-17, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Same here. The main advantage of spinning HDs are that they are cheaper
5 >> to replace when they fail. I only use them when I need lots of space.
6 >
7 > Me too. If I didn't have my desktop set up as a DVR with 5TB of
8 > recording space, I wouldn't have any spinning drives at all. My
9 > personal experience so far indicates that SSDs are far more reliable
10 > and long-lived than spinning HDs. I would guess that about half of my
11 > spinning HDs fail in under 5 years. But then again, I tend to buy
12 > pretty cheap models.
13 >
14 If you rely on raid, and use spinning rust, DON'T buy cheap drives. I
15 like Seagate, and bought myself Barracudas. Big mistake. Next time
16 round, I bought Ironwolves. Hopefully that system will soon be up and
17 running, and I'll see whether that was a good choice :-)
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol