From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD strategies...
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 14:29:38
1 On 2020-03-17, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Same here. The main advantage of spinning HDs are that they are cheaper
4 > to replace when they fail. I only use them when I need lots of space.
5
6 Me too. If I didn't have my desktop set up as a DVR with 5TB of
7 recording space, I wouldn't have any spinning drives at all. My
8 personal experience so far indicates that SSDs are far more reliable
9 and long-lived than spinning HDs. I would guess that about half of my
10 spinning HDs fail in under 5 years. But then again, I tend to buy
11 pretty cheap models.
14 Grant