From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd reaches "target Emergency Mode" every boot
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:27:51
1 On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 28.01.2013 20:34, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
3 >
4 >> My gdm USE-flags are:
5 >>
6 >> [ebuild R ~] gnome-base/gdm-3.6.2 USE="audit fallback gnome-shell
7 >> introspection ipv6 ldap plymouth systemd tcpd -accessibility
8 >> -consolekit -debug -fprint (-selinux) -smartcard {-test} -xinerama" 0
9 >> kB
10 >>
11 >> The service file is the one the package provides. I have gdm.service
12 >> as display-manager.service:
13 >>
14 >> # ls -l /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
15 >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Oct 13 16:48
16 >> /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service ->
17 >> /usr/lib64/systemd/system/gdm.service
18 >>
19 >> Nothing else, AFAICS.
20 >
21 > Thanks. Same here, afaik.
22 >
23 > I now get gdm up but I get thrown back after entering my (correct) password.
24 >
25 > with xdm.service I am able to start gnome.
26 >
27 > Do I have to take special care of polkit/consolekit/pam/whatever?
28
29 Yes, we had a long thread about that some months ago, around November.
30 Basically, there is lots of stuff that break if you mix up consolekit
31 and systemd (logind, actually). Maybe the situation has improved, but
32 in my case the simplest solution was to purge consolekit from my
33 systems (except in my media center, XBMC still uses its d-bus
34 interfaces). ConsoleKit is unmantained anyway.
35
36 I have USE="-consolekit" where necessary (basically gdm, pambase and
37 bluez), and USE="systemd" everywhere else. Please note that some
38 packages need to unmask the systemd flag:
39
40 # cat /etc/portage/profile/package.use.mask
41 media-sound/pulseaudio -systemd
42 net-misc/networkmanager -systemd
43 sys-auth/polkit -systemd
44 sys-fs/udisks -systemd
45 sys-power/upower -systemd
46
47 I believe polkit is the most important, since it's the one controlling
48 what program can do what, but since I switched completely to systemd
49 years ago, I just use it everywhere. Things "just work" most of the
50 time.
51
52 > Thanks, Stefan
53 >
54 > ps: my bigger hurdle will be the bridging-setup for running
55 > KVM-virtualization. This was one of the reasons to go back to openrc
56 > back then.
57
58 I have no experience with that, but if it works in OpenRC it should
59 work in systemd. Probably better, even.
60
61 Regards.
62 --
63 Canek Peláez Valdés