From: "Prado
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for yoursystem' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:55:26
1 >Unless you mean a different thing, that can be achieved and
2 >is already done in some packages. For example, mplayer has a
3 >USE flag called custom-cflags which freely allow you to break
4 >it as much as you want.
5
6 What I meant was something like this: supposed that the maintainer of a
7 particular package knows the -O3 causes a massive performance increase
8 (just an example, I know that usually -03 only gives marginally better
9 performance and that it can even make stuff slower), if the user has the
10 "simmonsays" USE flag enabled, that package will be built with -03,
11 respecting the users' -march setting but overriding -On.
12
13 Developing the idea, there could be a "performance" and a "stability"
14 USE flags, that would use the recommended CFLAGS for each package, some
15 sort of "automated ricing" ;-)