From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: is ddrescue this slow?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:46:27
1 On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
2
3 [snip]
6 > in the GNU manual page [1]. I believe that GNU ddrescue is the better
7 > version - it was inspired by garloff's original work, and makes
8 > improvements, but it operates differently.
11 Comment. Another reason I moved away from dd (apart from the slow running
12 time) to ddrescue was because of this note related to LVM.
13
14 http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/saw27/notes/backup-hard-disk-partitions.html
15 "Steve Holmes reports that dd with conv=sync,noerror doesn't correctly image
16 disks with LVM2 Logical Volumes. I haven't investigated this. He also points
17 out GNU ddrescue <http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html> ( not
18 the same as dd_rescue mentioned above) which looks useful. According to
19 Steve, ddrescue works finewith LVM2, and some
20 people<http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-ddrescue@×××.org/msg00038.html>seem
21 to suggest it's generally superior to dd_rescue."
22
23 The partition I would like to get data from is under LVM (previous post).
24
25 Thanks,
28 Valmor