From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: is ddrescue this slow?
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:11:49
1 On 9 Jan 2010, at 09:23, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 07:20:18 +0000, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
3 >
4 >> Sometimes the "current rate" reads 0 B/s for a long time... and "time
5 >> from last successful read" can be 8m.
6 >>
7 >> Would any one know whether this is normal?
8 >
9 > Doesn't ddrescue retry on blocks it cannot read? That would explain
10 > the
11 > variable read rate, even the period of zero activity. If your drive is
12 > that badly damaged, dd would have been no use anyway.
13
14 I think Valmor is using GNU ddrescue, with which one makes the
15 multiple passes manually. The "-n" flag on the command line that
16 Valmor posted (`ddrescue -n /dev/sda /dev/sdc rescued.log`) relates to
17 the examples given in the GNU manual page [1]. I believe that GNU
18 ddrescue is the better version - it was inspired by garloff's original
19 work, and makes improvements, but it operates differently.
20
21 Having said that, it could just be that the drive _firmware) is making
22 multiple attempts to read the failing blocks before returning the
23 failure (or the data, in the case that a 2nd attempt to read the drive
24 was successful) to the host o/s. Isn't this how hard-drives work?
25
26 ddrescue worked fast here when I tried it here recently on a drive
27 with only one unreadable block, but Valmor's drive is failing much
28 more severely. TBH, I would expect reads from a badly-failing drive,
29 but this is an intuitive expectation, not a reasoned one. I think the
30 best thing he can do is hold his breath, wait until its finished and
31 see how if the results are readable, after running `fsck` on the
32 mounted filesystem.
33
34 Valmor: when I ran the `ddrescue -dr3` stage I had no success at all,
35 however the system was fine after a reboot & a `chkdsk`. Better than
36 it had been, in fact, on the old hard-drive. You might have more luck
37 getting *some* of the blocks showing as failed when you run it on your
38 drive, but don't be too disheartened if you don't.
39
40 Stroller.
45 [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html#Examples