From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: FIXED: Re: KDE3 removal
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:01:34
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 27 November 2009 23:07:25 Jörg Schaible wrote:
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> > On Thursday 26 November 2009 19:34:34 James wrote:
6 >> >> kde-4.3.1 went smooth, except
7 >> >> for I have to manually removed all the kde-3.5 packages.
8 >> >> It had kde-meta-3.5.10. Is there some syntax or a better
9 >> >> method to insure all the kde-3.5.x packages are removed,
10 >> >> without a manual sweep?
11 >> >
12 >> > grep kde /var/lib/portage/world
13 >> > and eyeball the output. There should only be -meta packages, and
14 >> > individual packages for which you have NOT installed the -meta package,
15 >> > in there. vi the world file and remove the stuff that shouldn't be
16 >> > there, then
17 >> >
18 >> > emerge -C <all-kde3.5-meta-packages-in-world> && emerge -a --depclean
19 >>
20 >> as alternative simply append to all kde-base/* packages in world :4.3 and
21 >> do then a depclean ;-)
22 >
23 > Which promptly defeats the ENTIRE purpose of a world file and -meta
24 > packages.
25
26 a) I've never used the meta packages, but selected my KDE apps on purpose
27 b) it's a lot easier this way to get rid of the KDE 3 stuff, however you
28 should get drop of the slot again after depclean has been finished
29
30 > If that's how you want to admin your box,
31
32 I am using long enough Gentoo that I remember very well the times when
33 portage destroyed the world file completely. And regenworld put *anything*
34 into world at that time. Therefore I know very well, what should be in this
35 file and what not. There's no magic.
36
37 > can I recommend you switch to
38 > sabayon instead?
39
40 ROFL! So, you mean, if users get too smart, Gentoo is no longer their
41 distribution? Don't be silly.
42
43 - Jörg