From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 21:07:11
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 19:48 on Sunday 09 January 2011, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > It seems grub2 is a whopper. Check this out:
5 >
6 > root@fireball / # du -shc boot
7 > 13M boot
8 > 13M total
9 > root@fireball / # ls -al /boot/bzImage-2.6.36-r*
10 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4201472 Dec 15 00:16 /boot/bzImage-2.6.36-r4-1
11 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4204768 Dec 19 23:11 /boot/bzImage-2.6.36-r4-2
12 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4207168 Jan 4 23:38 /boot/bzImage-2.6.36-r6-1
13 > root@fireball / #
14 >
15 > So, my /boot is 13Mbs and I have three kernels there plus copies of
16 > their config files as well. Those are full blown ones since I don't use
17 > modules. I guess grub2 may make some people have to grow their /boot
18 > partition a bit for all that. I'm not planning to try grub2 for a bit
19 > yet but from the looks of it, it's a good thing I made my /boot
20 > partition 200Mbs. o_O
21 >
22 > Why so much you reckon? I did a emerge -pv and it has to install three
23 > more packages, in addition to the ones grub-static pulled in already.
24 > Does grub2 wash dishes too? I need one of those if it does. lol
25
26 It's trying to be an OS that's a bootloader as it's primary function.
27
28 Think back to the days of lilo. It obviously isn't an OS and doesn't
29 understand OS concepts - it loads an OS. When that step is done, then and only
30 then do OS concepts come into play. lilo doesn't even understand how to find a
31 file on a disk, that's why the lilo command had to be run to tell the
32 bootloader which sectors on disk it had to shove into memory.
33
34 This confused people. It annoyed even more people who often forgot to run lilo
35 before rebooting. So grub came along, it had the absolute minimum of OS-like
36 features to find and load a kernel file. It needed it's own syntax of defining
37 drive names, then would make it's way through the read-only fs it found there
38 to find the kernel. It supported a small number of file systems, just enough
39 so that a 50M partition would be usable on almost any platform.
40
41 grub2 now looks like GNU/grub (sarcasm intended). It's not a bootloader, it's
42 a puny OS with one extra feature - it can bootload!
43
44 It has support for jpeg, every fs under the sun, and the grub2 ebuild even has
45 a truetype USE flag.
46
47 Yes! Now my life is complete. I've been DYING for years to have a bootloader
48 that can properly display anti-aliased fonts for the entire 2 seconds it's on-
49 screen
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com