From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting everything
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 17:53:28
1 Dirk Heinrichs writes:
2
3 > Am Sonntag 05 Juli 2009 16:28:22 schrieb Alex Schuster:
4 > > Dirk Heinrichs writes:
5 > > > And how do you protect the key on the stick? What if you loose it?
6 > >
7 > > It's a long sentence from The Hichhiker's Guide To The Galaxy I can
8 > > find again. And meanwhile I also have a gpg-encrypted backup of the
9 > > stick's partition somewhere.
10 >
11 > I'm a bit confused now. So that means the key is protected by some
12 > passphrase? That would mean you need a key to get at the key, right?
13
14 Right :) I didn't want my LUKS key to be in clear-text, even if it's in a
15 binary file on some server which probably no one will ever see and identify
16 as a boot partition. I have my GPG secret key in different locations, not
17 only on the encrypted PC we are talking about.
18 I only did backup the boot partition because I use the XTS cipher and did
19 not have a live cd which knew about it. But now the new GRML 2009.05
20 supports it.
21
22 Wonko