From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] having problems getting burned cds to work
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 10:12:49
1 Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am 26.05.2015 um 09:04 schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
4 > > OK, I have a bit more info, I managed to burn the CD on another box and
5 > > when I tried to mount it using this drive, it gave me in the logs
6 > > May 26 02:41:59 ccs.covici.com kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0,
7 > > sector 942680
8 > > May 26 02:41:59 ccs.covici.com kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
9 > > logical block 117835
10 > > May 26 02:42:00 ccs.covici.com kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0,
11 > > sector 942680
12 > > May 26 02:42:00 ccs.covici.com kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
13 > > logical block 117835
14 > > but it did mount successfully! and I did a diff against the same iso
15 > > mounted via -o loop and there were no differences.
16 >
17 > There are several possibilities which come to my mind.
18 >
19 > Regardless of whether the image can be loop mounted or not, have you
20 > tried to download it again - maybe from another mirror - or have you
21 > checked the MD5 or SHAxxx checksums of the downloaded iso? Maybe the
22 > file is corrupt.
23 >
24 > Have you tried to burn it onto another blank DVD from a different
25 > manufacturer? Maybe your blank DVDs don't work well together with your
26 > DVD writer.
27 >
28 > Have you checked that you have built every necessary kernel module?
29 > Maybe your missing one like the mentioned UDF module or a hardware
30 > (drive/bus) related module.
31 >
32 > I guess with "this drive" you mean the drive in the other box? Otherwise
33 > the drive could be faulty.
34 >
35 > Have you checked the cables?
38 I have not checked the hardware, but I did burn the image on another
39 system with another drive and mounted it with the drive in question and
40 as I said, even though I got those errors, the mount was successful.
43 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
44 How do
45 you spend it?
46
47 John Covici