From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Which Laptop is recommended for Gentoo GNU/Linux?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:59:22
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: qfpvajdy [mailto:qfpvajdy@×××××××××.net]
3 > Sent: 05 January 2007 12:47
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Which Laptop is recommended for Gentoo
6 > GNU/Linux?
9 > Hello,
10 >
11 > first thanks all for your great support on Gentoo Linux.
12 > I'm interessted to buy a laptop on which I would like to
13 > install Gentoo GNU/Linux by using 100% all hardware functions
14 > of the laptop for which I have bought.
15 >
16 > Does somebody know a model of a laptop on which all works
17 > fine with Linux?
18 > I don't want to have trouble with wireless, webcam or this
19 > kind of stuff.
20 > Is there maybe a laptop hardware constructor which supports
21 > 100% Linux on laptop?
22 >
23 > Best regards,
24 > saf
25 > --
26
27 Hi
28
29 Check the Gentoo Wiki Hardware section as it lists many of the common
30 laptop brands and models that have been known to work with Linux.
31
32 In general as far as I am aware nVidia video cards work better in Linux
33 than ATi ones, and you might want to avoid anything too brand new if you
34 are worried about hardware support? I'm not entirely sure.
35
36 I currently have a HP DV8000 series laptop: the nVidia graphics work
37 great (I play UT2k4 on it in Linux), the Intel HD Audio works well (as
38 long as you use the userspace drivers - the kernel drivers dont seem to
39 work so well, and result in quite poor sound sometimes IMO). The
40 wireless is Intel ipw3945 and works great once set up according to the
41 instructions in the gentoo wiki.
42
43 I'd find a laptop you like and start searching for information about the
44 various bits of hardware to see if they will work.
45
46 Cheers,
47
48 David
49
50 PS There is a gentoo-laptop list as well... :>
51
52 Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
53 success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
54 list.
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list