From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS Core2Duo
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:18:07
1 On Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:48, Jakob <jak.gentoo@××××××××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS Core2Duo':
3 > Thaks for the quick reply.
4 > On http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags they say for 32bit use:
5 > CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
6 > Is this wat you meant for better -march settings?
7
8 Specifically, I meant that -march=prescott is probably better
9 than -march=pentium-m. If you use Konqueror, hit <URL: info:/gcc/i386 and
10 x86-64 Options >; or just use your favorite infotext reader to look at the
11 x86(_64) machine specific options, so you are generating code tuned
12 particularly to your processor.
13
14 > I was confused by the GWN because they didnt say its for 64bit only.
15
16 Well, a lot of people assume that buying a 64-bit processor means you
17 actually want to use the extra bits (and registers). Of course, it's
18 getting harder and harder to buy a non-64 bit chip.
21 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
22 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
23 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
24 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh