From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted drive setup at login and locking on logout.
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 06:37:30
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi Dale, I looked at Veracrypt and ran into the fact that it on windows
3 > Veracrypt MUST be installed by an administrator which is a blocker for
4 > using USB keys on computers I don't control (such as transporting files
5 > securely between locations - i.e., where there is potential to lose the
6 > usb key):
7 >
8 > see
9 > https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Using%20VeraCrypt%20Without%20Administrator%20Privileges.html
10 >
11 > BillK
14 Does that mean that on windoze a person can open a encryted USB stick
15 without a password?  From what I read, it sounds like it doesn't put the
16 stick at risk, as long as you are not using key files or sharing your
17 password by storing it somewhere.  It just means you have to be admin to
18 install Veracrypt but not to access a encrypted USB stick.  From the way
19 it sounds, you insert USB stick, run Veracrypt, enter password, do what
20 you want with the stick, close it and then remove the stick.  Or am I
21 missing something?
22
23 I might add, when I use cryptsetup and mount a external drive I use, I
24 do that as root.  Since my password is only in my head, no password, no
25 access root or not, right?
26
27 I'm new to this encrypted thing.  I'm learning but don't know all of it
28 and may never know all of it.  I figured out the other day that when I
29 select a two part or three part encryption, it actually encrypts the
30 thing twice or three times.  It's like having to pick two or three locks
31 on a door instead of one.  Only they have to be done in order and you
32 don't really have a way to know if you did it right until you figure out
33 the rest.  I bet that drives the NSA and other Govts nuts.  lol
34
35 By the way, the USB stick will have instructions about things after I'm
36 buried or whatever.  I plan to keep the USB stick in a safe and share
37 the password with the person that will be taking care of things.  When
38 I'm gone, they can open the USB stick to access files on what to do and
39 such.  Until I'm gone, they won't know what is on the stick or have
40 access to it.  Getting older makes one think about these things.  :/
41 External drives will have things that when I'm gone, they gone too.
42
43 I just wonder how many encryption tools have been cracked that we don't
44 know about.  It's not like they going to tell us or anything.
45
46 Dale
47