From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:01:47
1 On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 01:25:32PM -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Mar 18, 2012 3:52 PM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> If the config file doesn't exists, the service will not start, and you
7 > >> can check the reason why with
8 > >>
9 > >> systemctl status sshd.service
10 > >>
11 > >> And of course you can set another mini sevice unit file to create the
12 > >> hostkeys. But I repeat: I think those tasks belong into the package
13 > >> manager, no the init script.
14 > >>
15 > >
16 > > Between installation by package manager and actual execution by the init
17 > > system, things might happen on the required file(s). Gentoo's initscript
18 > > guards against this possibility *plus* providing helpful error messages in
19 > > /var/rc.log
20 > >
21 > > Or, said configuration files might be corrupted; the OpenRC initscript -- if
22 > > written defensively -- will be able to detect that and (perhaps) fallback to
23 > > something sane. systemd can't do that, short of putting all required
24 > > intelligence into a script which it executes on boot.
25 >
26 > That is a completely valid point, but I don't think that task belongs
27 > into the init system. The init system starts and stops services, and
28 > monitors them;
29
30 That I can agree upon.
31
32 > checking for configuration files and creating hostkeys
33 > is part of the installation process.
34
35 But not this. Installation is a one-time event whose lifetime is over once
36 installation is done.
37
38 > If something got corrupted between installation time and now, I would prefer
39 > my init system not to start a service; just please tell me that something is
40 > wrong.
41
42 Obviously, a service itself knows best about its own config files. So *it*
43 should check for the files and if they are invalid/non-existent, it should
44 abort starting and notify the init system.
45 --
46 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
47 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
48
49 Today’s stress is the good old times of the day after tomorrow.