From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:27:21
1 On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mar 18, 2012 3:52 PM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> If the config file doesn't exists, the service will not start, and you
6 >> can check the reason why with
7 >>
8 >> systemctl status sshd.service
9 >>
10 >> And of course you can set another mini sevice unit file to create the
11 >> hostkeys. But I repeat: I think those tasks belong into the package
12 >> manager, no the init script.
15 > Between installation by package manager and actual execution by the init
16 > system, things might happen on the required file(s). Gentoo's initscript
17 > guards against this possibility *plus* providing helpful error messages in
18 > /var/rc.log
19 >
20 > Or, said configuration files might be corrupted; the OpenRC initscript -- if
21 > written defensively -- will be able to detect that and (perhaps) fallback to
22 > something sane. systemd can't do that, short of putting all required
23 > intelligence into a script which it executes on boot.
24
25 That is a completely valid point, but I don't think that task belongs
26 into the init system. The init system starts and stops services, and
27 monitors them; checking for configuration files and creating hostkeys
28 is part of the installation process. If something got corrupted
29 between installation time and now, I would prefer my init system not
30 to start a service; just please tell me that something is wrong.
31
32 However, it's of course debatible. I agree with systemd's behavior;
33 it's cleaner, more elegant, and it follows the Unix tradition: do one
34 thing, and doing it right.
35
36 Regards.
37 --