From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:24:48
1 On Mar 18, 2012 3:52 PM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > If the config file doesn't exists, the service will not start, and you
4 > can check the reason why with
5 >
6 > systemctl status sshd.service
7 >
8 > And of course you can set another mini sevice unit file to create the
9 > hostkeys. But I repeat: I think those tasks belong into the package
10 > manager, no the init script.
13 Between installation by package manager and actual execution by the init
14 system, things might happen on the required file(s). Gentoo's initscript
15 guards against this possibility *plus* providing helpful error messages in
16 /var/rc.log
17
18 Or, said configuration files might be corrupted; the OpenRC initscript --
19 if written defensively -- will be able to detect that and (perhaps)
20 fallback to something sane. systemd can't do that, short of putting all
21 required intelligence into a script which it executes on boot.
22
23 Now, if one has to put all the intelligence into a script file which gets
24 executed by systemd, that results in a system that's more complex than
25 plain OpenRC. Not only would one need to maintain the starting script, but
26 one must also maintain systemd + dbus.
27
28 So, the *only* benefit I can see about systemd is the smarter parallel
29 startup of services. And believe me if I say that server guys (the ones
30 handling tens or even hundreds of servers) would much prefer sequential
31 startup of services than parallel ones. The former is deterministic, the
32 latter is not.
33
34 Rgds,