From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Externel drive should be /dev/sda1, but /dev/sda1 does not exist
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:44:54
1 On 01/02/2010 06:35 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 11:37 -0800, walt wrote:
3 >> On 01/01/2010 05:48 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
4 >>> Hello
5 >>>
6 >>> My wife's computer is pretty slow, so I've attached and old hard drive
7 >>> into a hard drive enclosure and hooked it into her USB port for
8 >>> additional swap space. It used to work. The swap space is supposed to
9 >>> be /dev/sda1. The problem is that for some reason when I rebooted this
10 >>> morning with a new kernel, /dev/sda does not exist anymore...
11 >>
12 >> Hm. So the only thing you changed was the new kernel? Might help to
13 >> know why you built the new kernel. What problem were you solving by
14 >> doing it?
15
16 > OK here goes. I built the new kernel because with the old one /dev/sda
17 > didn't seem to exist when I know it should...
18
19 IIUC, you built the new kernel to see if it would fix the missing sda
20 problem, but it didn't fix it. Is this correct?
21
22 Because sda does show up when you hotplug the drive after bootup, the
23 problem seems to be timing rather than a misconfigured kernel.
24
25 I also compile USB support as modules, and yet my USB sticks show up
26 properly after bootup. I do use the 'hotplug' package and start it
27 at the 'default' runlevel (though I confess I really don't know if I
28 need it). Do you have that package, or did you?
29
30 I assume your drive enclosure is self powered, i.e. it has its own
31 power switch?
32
33 I suspect that if you compile USB support into the kernel your missing
34 sda would reappear. Have you tried that?