From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (OT) A eureka moment!
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 07:49:09
1 On Wednesday, May 3 2006 17:03, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2 > I just discovered something (I think). Probably everyone else already
3 > knew it but didn't tell me. Shame on all of you!
4 >
5 > Do all audio cd's have the mp3's and ogg files on them also????
6 >
7 > I happened to look at one with konqueror and noticed several files and
8 > directories on it. The cd was not mounted (and could not be mounted)
9 > but was viewable nontheless. And I could copy a mp3 to my hard disk and
10 > play it.
11 >
12 > Not mountable implies no filesystem so how was I able to view it and
13 > copy from it?
14 >
15 > And if all audio cd's are this way, why do we need to rip them? Just
16 > copy the mp3's, or ogg's (or wav's).
17 >
18 > I am really confused!
19 >
20 > Tony
21 > --
22 > Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
23 > Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
24 > -- Benjamin Franklin
25
26 KDE's 'audiocd:/' ioslave automatically gives you virtual folders full of oggs
27 and mp3s. When you copy and paste these files to your filesystem KDE
28 automatically performs the ripping and encoding in the background.
31 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list