From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:52:31
1 On 08.03.2014 05:57, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 [ ... ]
5 > "Too complicated". What I mean by this is that the user upon
6 > booting has options!!! Do you kick into a graphical environment, do you
7 > copy everything to memory, do you..... you get the idea. The problem is
8 > that these are first year students in a common first year, they have not
9 > yet decided upon their stream, could be Civil, Chem, Mech etc and don't
10 > see any benefit in doing programming but have to pass the subject.
11 >
12 > My "requirement" is that it boots into a GUI, preferably straight
13 > into the environment, no username/password, has dhcp, a decent editor, a
14 > browser and gcc or clang.
15 >
16 > Andrew
19 Hi Andrew,
20 I could suggest you create a virtual machine image for e.g. virtualbox,
21 with all the stuff you need.
22 This way you ensure the student has everything you expect him/her to
23 have, and it may be more acceptable for layman to install an emulator
24 with the image, while being able to use his/her own OS, than to reboot
25 each time, and this setup allows to easily save configuration
26 options/work results.
30 Best wishes,
31 Yuri K. Shatroff