From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packages being Re-emerged after portage update
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:55:33
1 On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 06:20:36PM +0100, Penguin Lover Neil Bothwick squawked:
2 > > Ah, thanks for the clarification. But wouldn't changing the USE
3 > > variables change (pull in) dependencies and linked libraries? Or am I
4 > > misunderstanding what is meant by installed code?
5 >
6 > It looks like in this case, they are removing USE flags that are now
7 > redundant, which wouldn't change the code. Adding compile features
8 > certainly would.
9
10 I see.
11
12 Just a thought: the addition of USE flags allow the setting of
13 optional dependencies or compile time options. So if a USE flag is
14 added, and the user is unaware of such, it might cause some problem or
15 inconveniences cough*eds*cough.
16
17 If a USE flag is removed, presumeably it is because
18 1) The *optional* stuff it used to specify is no longer optional.
19 2) The flag is replaced by another of a different name or more
20 specific distinction (qt by qt3/4).
21 In either case, it wouldn't really bite the user per se (case 2 being
22 taken care of by portage letting us know when new flags are
23 available).
24
25 As far as I can see, the only downside to removed USE flags is the
26 cruft it sometimes generates. (This is not to say I won't welcome the
27 new feature being proposed, I am just thinking out loud here.)
28
29 Is there anything I missed? Perhaps an important reason why removed
30 USE flags would be undesireable in make.conf or package.use?
31
32 W
35 Tussman's Law:
36 Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.
37 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1 day, 22:37
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list