From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Newcomer: Nvidia from GRP and MX4000
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:52:21
1 What does
2
3 lsmod | grep nvidia
4
5 return?
6
7 On 10/22/05, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > On AMD64 system with an MX 4000 video card.
10 >
11 > I have made it through an installation, installing everything from the
12 > Packages (GRP) disk. This has been a no-net install so far.
13 >
14 > Trying to configure Xorg, after installing nvidia-kernel driver and
15 > nvidia-glx.
16 > Xorg -configure
17 > then
18 > X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
19 >
20 > I also did "modprobe nvidia"
21 >
22 > I am receiving the message
23 >
24 > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
25 >
26 > Then the process aborted.
27 >
28 > I haven't found (yet) any suggestions, except to install a newer version
29 > of the nvidia-kernel.
30 >
31 > I fear I will have to upgrade the whole system now, once I can get online,
32 > which may be days away.
33 >
34 > Thanks for any suggestions.
35 >