From: Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] some of the stuff in /usr that's become a problem
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 08:36:21
1 On 09/29/2013 11:40 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > You're right, though; it's a problem that lots of programs have. I
4 > guess it's the natural result of modular software that has
5 > interdependencies. You basically need *everything* available on boot.
6
7 You don't need everything (obviously -- otherwise dracut/init* would not
8 work) Only the things necessary to get the system bootstrapped.
9
10 It occurs to me that anything dracut fetches from /usr/* to put in the
11 initrd is the stuff that has caused the breakage.
12
13 To me, the requirement for an initramfs/initrd is an admission of
14 failure. Breaking the rules is what made it required.
17 G.Wolfe Woodbury
18 redwolfe@×××××.com