From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Organising btrfs subvolumes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 22:34:44
1 Am 22.05.2014 18:12, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2 > I'm working on this btrfs malarkey and have a question about best
3 > practice. It is recommended to leave the root volume empty and
4 > create a subvolume for the root filesystem which is set with btrfs
5 > subvolume set-default, which I have done.
6
7 Alternative: mount the subvol via option "subvolid" etc in fstab .... if
8 you plan to mount different snapshots, for example.
9
10 > What is the recommended way to create subvolumes that are mounted
11 > further down the filesystem? Let's say I was usr and var on their
12 > own subvolumes. Do I create them in the btrfs root, which means
13 > they have to be mounted from /etc/fstab - or do I create hem below
14 > the subvolume called root?
17 I saw more examples mounting every dir via a
18 separate line in fstab (which also adds the choice to mount them with
19 different options, think compression etc).
20
21 My understanding is:
22
23 * create and use subvols for entities you want to be able to snapshot
24 and rollback individually.
25
26 * create and use subvols for entities you want to apply special
27 options to: compression, (no)COW, quota ...
28
29 I would mount each subvol via extra line and create them in parallel ...
30
31 > That raises another question. Assuming I've done it wrong (well, my
32 > wife always does) is there an equivalent to the zfs rename command
33 > to move or rename a subvolume?
34
35 As far as I understand you are allowed to mount the root volume (or
36 academic: any subvol in a higher level) and use plain "mv" to rename
37 the subvols as if you renamed sub-dirs.
38
39 Stefan