From: Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: realnc@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 15:09:56
1 On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Anyone else noticed this yet? Some portage update seems to have made "emerge
3 > -uDN @world" perform about 10 times slower than before. It used to take
4 > seconds, now it takes about 4 minutes only to tell me that there's nothing
5 > to update. And it does that every time, even directly in succession and with
6 > the caches warm.
7 >
8 > Is it just me?
9
10 Usually this occurs when you have done something that causes portage
11 to stop using the metadata that rolls in via rsync. The classic
12 example of something that will cause this is setting some
13 eclass-overrides in /etc/portage/repos.conf.
14
15 As of yesterday, portage still performed tolerably on a relatively
16 vanilla base system.
17
18 That stated, you're not hallucinating. Portage is slow as tar. I
19 suspect it's getting slower at least partially as a result of the
20 recent explosion of multilib-build-based ebuilds for multimedia and
21 x11 library ebuilds, and perhaps also due to those nasty
22 emul-linux-x86 blockers (a problem that will eventually be resolved,
23 Larry-The-Cow-God-willing, within a year or three) that are placing
24 higher and higher demands on portage's depsolving engine, as time
25 passes.
26
27 Having lots and lots of packages installed is a huge factor here.
28 This may be because, by default, portage uses installed packages to
29 calculate dependencies, resulting in a need to re-cache lots of
30 stuff... I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly what criteria are used to
31 determine when this happens, tbh.. that's something I've been meaning
32 to look into.
33
34 Adding something like:
35
36 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --backtrack=5"
37 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --complete-graph=n"
38 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --complete-graph-if-new-use=n"
39 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --complete-graph-if-new-ver=n"
40 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --with-bdeps=n"
41
42 to you /etc/portage/make.conf may help, as may running emerge
43 --metadata and/or egencache on your repos. after syncing... but...
44 these are no panacea.
45
46 Sometimes emerge -O is the only way to get some things done in any
47 reasonable time-frame.
48
49 It would help if there were some decent way to get some statistics
50 about where portage is spending all its time (especially, I suspect,
51 within the bash code, but the python level would also be interesting
52 to analyse). Anyone know of a good way of doing that?
53
54 -gmt