From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 19:46:09
1 On 05/11/2017 17:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> There are other schedulers out there that succeed where cron fails (eg
5 >> Control-M, chronos, quartz), but those are all large, bulky, designed
6 >> for big complex installs/requirements and probably not suited for simple
7 >> things you'd deploy out of a base in portage
10 > Amusing that you classify 99.999% of all desktop installs as "big
11 > complex installs."
12
13 Heh :-)
14
15 Well, to a first approximation all Linux installs are servers or phones
16 so whatever is going on in desktop space can be disregarded
19 > But, I agree that it makes far more sense to just have desktop users
20 > use an appropriate cron implementation designed to handle the machine
21 > being off most of the time vs trying to use shell scripting to make
22 > vixie cron into such an implementation.
23
24 Vixie cron and it's clones needs to die, really. The number of places
25 where it makes sense is falling by the day; showing no sign of slowing
26 down. I think I have 3 cronjobs left across my fleet that actually make
27 sense and all of them are just-in-case-I-screwed-up-elsewhere safety
28 nets. The very idea of cron itself comes from the '80s and to be honest,
29 we don't work anymore like we did in the 80s
30 >
31 > FWIW this is probably the reasoning behind including cron-like
32 > functionality in systemd, and having it support optionally running
33 > jobs if the system was down during a calendar-based event. It was
34 > considered bare-bones functionality that any desktop or generic server
35 > would need. It is, of course, optional, and just about any kind of
36 > rule is supported. I personally use systemd-cron which basically is a
37 > wrapper+generator around /etc/crontab and the various /etc/cron.*/
38 > scripts.
39
40 Agreed again. My desktop cronjobs are all empty and when I had some they
41 were of the "do this once a week or once a day" variety. I didn't care
42 when they ran, just that they did every so often
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com