From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Video streaming solution
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:11:17
1 Rafael Bugajewski <rb <at> bugajewski.de> writes:
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I search for a open source solution for video streams. What I want to do is to
7 > have a server with a simple GUI on which I can control several video streams
8 > that get distributed. The streams have to be distributed to thin clients or
9 > video projectors.
10
11 I'd settle for gentoo workstations here....
12
13 > In the case I would use video projectors I have the
14 > question: Are there some video projectors with a network interface? If yes,
15 > which protocol do they speak, is there a standard?
16
17 any of the standards, mpeg2, mpeg4 mpeg4(AVC)
18
19 H.264 is my favorite.
22 > The clients (or projectors) should work this way that I turn them on and it
23 > just works, no configuration, no clicking, _nothing_. I know, that I can
24 > realize it with scripts, but I completely dunno what software to use. The
25 > whole controlling process should be done from the server.
26
27 Well that's the aim of many projects, but achieving this sort of level
28 only comes after a package, matures over time, in my experience.
32 > The server itself should have a simple user interface (for users which dunno
33 > much about computers). They can configure which stream to show on which
34 > client and also disable the streams.
35 >
36 > Does anybody has an idea how such a configuration can be realized and with
37 > which software?
38
39 This is really sort of a complex/dynamic request. ffmpeg is the basic
40 tools behind many video packages. Here are the names of a few you might
41 want to try:
42
43 vlc: retransmits video streams
44 zoneminder: security stream camera viewer
45 mythtv: digital video recorder
46 qdvdauthor
47 mplayer
48 vdr: set top box for DVB
51 many other packages exist, just take a look in the
52 /usr/portage/medida-video/ dir, and emerge one for a test
56 hth,
57 James
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list