From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 ??
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 23:23:09
1 On Thu, May 26 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Thank you.  Some forum posts suggest that upgrading to gnome3 from
6 >> gnome2 is difficult.  Did you
7 >>
8 >> 1.  Upgrade from 2.32.1
9 >> 2.  Unmerge 2.32.1 then merge 3
10 >> 3.  Do a fresh install of gentoo w/o gnome and then install gnome3
11 >> 4.  Do something else
12 >
13 > All of the above? :D
14 >
15 > I keyworded and unmasked the necessary packages to make
16 > =gnome-base/gnome-3.0.0 emergable; then I upgraded like usual. There
17 > were some problems, but usually solvable by emerge -C the offending
18 > package (and older version, generally). I removed (after backup)
19 > ~/.gconf, ~/.gnome2* ~/.metacity ~/.nautilus and ~/.evolution (I
20 > *think* this was not really necessary, by I wanted to see a "pristine"
21 > GNOME 3). At the end, I emerge --depclean, and then after a couple of
22 > emerge -uDNvp world everything went to normal. I haven't had any
23 > problem since then.
24 >
25 > Oh, at some point I emerge @preserved-rebuild and then again emerge
26 > --depclean.
27 >
28 > It took a couple of days of try/error, and be warned that you should
29 > do this fom a VT, not from X (unless you do it under twm or something
30 > like that).
31
32 Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
33 allan