From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 ??
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 23:44:47
1 On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 26 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >>> Since I don't teach again until sept, this seems like a good time to try
6 >>> gnome 3.  Before I do, I wonder how others have fared.
7 >>>
8 >>> thanks,
9 >>> allan
10 >>>
11 >>> PS my system is ~amd64.
12 >>
13 >> I actually like it a lot. However, a lot of things are not
14 >> customizable, and several other things behave completely different
15 >> from GNOME 2. I've been using it since the last month or so, and I
16 >> think I'm already used to the new UI. I believe it's a little faster
17 >> than GNOME 2, and it definitely get less in the way to actually do
18 >> work.
19 >
20 > Thank you.  Some forum posts suggest that upgrading to gnome3 from
21 > gnome2 is difficult.  Did you
22 >
23 > 1.  Upgrade from 2.32.1
24 > 2.  Unmerge 2.32.1 then merge 3
25 > 3.  Do a fresh install of gentoo w/o gnome and then install gnome3
26 > 4.  Do something else
27
28 All of the above? :D
29
30 I keyworded and unmasked the necessary packages to make
31 =gnome-base/gnome-3.0.0 emergable; then I upgraded like usual. There
32 were some problems, but usually solvable by emerge -C the offending
33 package (and older version, generally). I removed (after backup)
34 ~/.gconf, ~/.gnome2* ~/.metacity ~/.nautilus and ~/.evolution (I
35 *think* this was not really necessary, by I wanted to see a "pristine"
36 GNOME 3). At the end, I emerge --depclean, and then after a couple of
37 emerge -uDNvp world everything went to normal. I haven't had any
38 problem since then.
39
40 Oh, at some point I emerge @preserved-rebuild and then again emerge --depclean.
41
42 It took a couple of days of try/error, and be warned that you should
43 do this fom a VT, not from X (unless you do it under twm or something
44 like that).
45
46 Regards.
47 --