From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 ??
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:25:53
1 On Thu, May 26 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> Since I don't teach again until sept, this seems like a good time to try
5 >> gnome 3.  Before I do, I wonder how others have fared.
6 >>
7 >> thanks,
8 >> allan
9 >>
10 >> PS my system is ~amd64.
11 >
12 > I actually like it a lot. However, a lot of things are not
13 > customizable, and several other things behave completely different
14 > from GNOME 2. I've been using it since the last month or so, and I
15 > think I'm already used to the new UI. I believe it's a little faster
16 > than GNOME 2, and it definitely get less in the way to actually do
17 > work.
18
19 Thank you. Some forum posts suggest that upgrading to gnome3 from
20 gnome2 is difficult. Did you
21
22 1. Upgrade from 2.32.1
23 2. Unmerge 2.32.1 then merge 3
24 3. Do a fresh install of gentoo w/o gnome and then install gnome3
25 4. Do something else
26
27 thanks again,
28 allan