From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 04:12:31
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 08:41:21PM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >
4 >> OK. I do banking online. I also pay my bills online along with social
5 >> sites as well. I use Lastpass so that I can have some really REALLY
6 >> funky passwords. I think I am one of few that has not had his facebook
7 >> hacked. Anyway, I run Gentoo which is known here. I use
8 >> Firefox/Seamonkey as my web browser. So next question sort of takes us
9 >> back to my point with the knucklehead in the store. Am I safer, much
10 >> safer, using Linux over windoze? That answer would take into account
11 >> the fact that most virus/nasty code is written for windoze and not Linux
12 >> but also that Linux is just built with security in mind. I belive that
13 >> I am much safer with Linux myself.
14 > You are safer overall. Just watch out for XSS (cross-site-scripting),
15 > java, Flash, and acrobat exploits.
19 That's my thinking but wanted a second opinion. So far, I have never
20 had anything hacked. That includes social sites, banking and other
21 financial stuff, email and other password protected stuff. I keep
22 everything updated and use browsers that are popular and updated
23 frequently. I think Lastpass helps too. I have one good password and
24 it remember the really hard ones. So far, it works well.
25
26 Thanks for the second opinion. It ended up like I thought. ;-)
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!