From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 03:54:36
1 On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 08:41:21PM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > OK. I do banking online. I also pay my bills online along with social
4 > sites as well. I use Lastpass so that I can have some really REALLY
5 > funky passwords. I think I am one of few that has not had his facebook
6 > hacked. Anyway, I run Gentoo which is known here. I use
7 > Firefox/Seamonkey as my web browser. So next question sort of takes us
8 > back to my point with the knucklehead in the store. Am I safer, much
9 > safer, using Linux over windoze? That answer would take into account
10 > the fact that most virus/nasty code is written for windoze and not Linux
11 > but also that Linux is just built with security in mind. I belive that
12 > I am much safer with Linux myself.
13
14 You are safer overall. Just watch out for XSS (cross-site-scripting),
15 java, Flash, and acrobat exploits.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications