From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 01:41:37
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:24:03AM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >
4 >> Questions. Can a virus infect the OS when running on Linux through
5 >> java/javascript/flash?
6 > There are two levels of "infection"...
7 >
8 > 1) One-off execution of bad stuff when you visit a web page.
9 >
10 > 2) A more permanent infection that survives restarting the web browser,
11 > and rebooting the machine. But that would need to be linux executable.
14 OK. I do banking online. I also pay my bills online along with social
15 sites as well. I use Lastpass so that I can have some really REALLY
16 funky passwords. I think I am one of few that has not had his facebook
17 hacked. Anyway, I run Gentoo which is known here. I use
18 Firefox/Seamonkey as my web browser. So next question sort of takes us
19 back to my point with the knucklehead in the store. Am I safer, much
20 safer, using Linux over windoze? That answer would take into account
21 the fact that most virus/nasty code is written for windoze and not Linux
22 but also that Linux is just built with security in mind. I belive that
23 I am much safer with Linux myself. Just a rough example of what some
24 passwords look like for me:
25
26 5u9YU7335cb29hPE
27
28 I don't actually use that as a password so no need in some script kiddy
29 trying it. LOL
32 >> Or would the infection at the least be limited to that user?
33 > Usually, unless they find a privilege escalation hole. Then again,
34 > it's the user-info (bank login and password, credit card number, etc)
35 > that's really profitable for organized crime.
36
37 I can certainly agree with that. I have a few people that use windoze
38 and refuse to even think about ordering online, banking or anything that
39 requires financial type info. If they are not going to keep their stuff
40 up to date, may be a good idea. These are the same folks that don't
41 update anti-virus and such too. :/
45 >> How is html5 going to affect this? Better or worse?
46 > If/when it results in the end of Flash, that's an improvement. The
47 > thing I worry about is that anything "powerful enough" can be (ab)used.
50 I was hoping if they was going to all the trouble on creating this that
51 it was going to do some sort of good and improve security. I don't mean
52 just for Linux folks either. For the record, I use https everywhere and
53 I think I have a similar thing for html5 too. I know I opted in for
54 youtube.
55
56 Thanks for the answers. I think you see where I am going with this. I
57 still laugh when I think about what that guy said tho.
58
59 Dale
60
64 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!