From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:45:01
1 On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:24:03AM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > Questions. Can a virus infect the OS when running on Linux through
4 > java/javascript/flash?
5
6 There are two levels of "infection"...
7
8 1) One-off execution of bad stuff when you visit a web page.
9
10 2) A more permanent infection that survives restarting the web browser,
11 and rebooting the machine. But that would need to be linux executable.
12
13 > Or would the infection at the least be limited to that user?
14
15 Usually, unless they find a privilege escalation hole. Then again,
16 it's the user-info (bank login and password, credit card number, etc)
17 that's really profitable for organized crime.
18
19 > How is html5 going to affect this? Better or worse?
20
21 If/when it results in the end of Flash, that's an improvement. The
22 thing I worry about is that anything "powerful enough" can be (ab)used.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications