From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 13:24:13
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 05:21:25PM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >
4 >> Well, no Wine here. So that won't happen. Actually, I don't have a
5 >> copy of windoze here at all. Neither of my two rigs have ever had
6 >> windoze installed on them at all.
7 >>
8 >> BTW, I have been known to open those attachments before. I usually open
9 >> them with kwrite or something and try to see what is human readable in
10 >> there. Most is machine language but there is usually a small portion
11 >> that is human readable. They sent it and I'm nosy that way. lol
12 > The bad guys go after the "low hanging fruit", i.e. the easiest
13 > targets. Years ago, it was Internet Explorer. This also included
14 > Outlook and Outlook Express, which were glorified IE frontends. There
15 > were many "drive-by-downloads", thanks to Active-X (aka "Active-Hacks").
16 >
17 > MS has gotten its act together on IE, so the bad guys are now going
18 > after other stuff. The "other stuff" is cross-platform stuff like Java
19 > and Javascript and Adobe Acrobat and Flash (known affectionately as
20 > "Schlockwave Trash"). So yes... it can happen here.
21 >
22 > I've been Java-free for years. I use Noscript and Flashblock on
23 > Firefox. I keep Opera around for those sites that don't work on
24 > Firefox. I also use mupdf instead of the bloated Acrobat Reader
25 > monstrosity.
29 Questions. Can a virus infect the OS when running on Linux through
30 java/javascript/flash? Or would the infection at the least be limited
31 to that user?
32
33 How is html5 going to affect this? Better or worse?
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!