From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 09:25:43
1 On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 05:21:25PM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > Well, no Wine here. So that won't happen. Actually, I don't have a
4 > copy of windoze here at all. Neither of my two rigs have ever had
5 > windoze installed on them at all.
6 >
7 > BTW, I have been known to open those attachments before. I usually open
8 > them with kwrite or something and try to see what is human readable in
9 > there. Most is machine language but there is usually a small portion
10 > that is human readable. They sent it and I'm nosy that way. lol
11
12 The bad guys go after the "low hanging fruit", i.e. the easiest
13 targets. Years ago, it was Internet Explorer. This also included
14 Outlook and Outlook Express, which were glorified IE frontends. There
15 were many "drive-by-downloads", thanks to Active-X (aka "Active-Hacks").
16
17 MS has gotten its act together on IE, so the bad guys are now going
18 after other stuff. The "other stuff" is cross-platform stuff like Java
19 and Javascript and Adobe Acrobat and Flash (known affectionately as
20 "Schlockwave Trash"). So yes... it can happen here.
21
22 I've been Java-free for years. I use Noscript and Flashblock on
23 Firefox. I keep Opera around for those sites that don't work on
24 Firefox. I also use mupdf instead of the bloated Acrobat Reader
25 monstrosity.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications