From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system suddenly failed to boot.
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 14:28:04
1 It can also be a failing power supply, had this issue myself, first 1 of 3 drives was having trouble during boot, then the boot drive started having problems.  New power supply fixed it right up.  Nearly anything can cause boot problems depending on the motherboard etc.  If it's the power supply it's likely aging caps, just like with the motherboard.
2
3 I've replaced caps on other motherboards, It's worth getting those with a high ripple current rating and rated for 16V (they actually have less resistance and better ripple tolerance), the particular caps I used were $1 Ea. from digikey.  You can spot failing electrolytic caps, they are the ones where you can see the top of the aluminum can.  The marking is actually printed on heat-shrink tubing.  When they start to fail they get warm enough to shrink the label more and pull it off the end.  Of course any that are bulging (usually on the end) or have the top opened up are also failed.  Electrolytic capacitors are the least reliable component type, though they have gotten much better over time they are still the goto suspect when nearly anything electronic fails, Especially when it gets worse over time and there's been no abuse.  Heat will make them fail much sooner (I.e. after a fan failure).
6 --"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." Tommy Douglas
11 Feb 20, 2021, 01:03 by edwardmgibson01@×××××.com: