From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with evince (mime bad?)--Solved ??
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:16:14
1 At Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:46:37 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > At Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:40:42 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Saturday 14 February 2009 01:50:38 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
6 >>> Recently evince stopped working on one of my machines, ajglap.
7 >>>
8 >>> For every pdf, evince opens a window and complains
9 >>>   unable to open document
10 >>>   unhandled mime type
11 >>
12 >> As you use evince, you may be a gnome user, so this might not help you. I
13 >> recently had all my kde associations and (very surprisingly) a number of
14 >> others from other DEs go scrambled. Rebuilding kdelibs fixed all of it.
15 >>
16 >> I never did figure out how this could occur. Possibly it's something to do
17 >> with DEs converging on freedesktop.org standards, so an oopsie in one can have
18 >> system-wide side0effects.
19 >
20 > Yes, I should have mentioned that I am a gnome user.
21 > Thank you for responding.
22
23 Removing the file ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache ended the problem.
24 The last modify date was 2006 and the failure started this month so it
25 wasn't the contents changing. I am guessing that a new version of
26 something does not like this old file.
27
28 At any rate, evince now handles pdf files as it used to.
29
30 allan