From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge stopped working
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 16:50:31
1 Hi, Davide.
2
3 On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 03:38:03PM +0000, Davide Carnovale wrote:
4 > Hi all!
5 > i was going through a world update today and during --depclean emerge throw
6 > an error complaining about possible corrupted binaries or hw failure.
7 > since then it has stopped working, no matter what i try to emerge, the
8 > command simply return to the shell without any kind of error or any other
9 > output at all.
10 > i fired and usb stick with the gentoo 11 live dvd and i copied over both
11 > bash and emerge binaries to my machine, in case they were corrupted (bash
12 > was given as the most likely) but nothing changed.
13 > now i simply have no clue on what's wrong and how can i fix it, apart from a
14 > full reinstall, which i'd like to avoid.
15 >
16 > can anyone point me somewhere to solve this problem?
17
18 Try testing your RAM. There is a RAM tester (I think it's called
19 memtest2) on the minimal installation CD.
20
21 > D
24 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).