From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning out /etc/portage easily??
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 08:56:35
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Christopher J. Camisa wrote:
3 >> On 06/01/2016 02:28 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I suspect there may be more people than me wondering about this one. I
7 >>> have quite a few entries in /etc/portage files, especially keywords.
8 >>> I'd like to know if there is a tool that deletes no longer needed
9 >>> entries itself. I been using eix-test-obsolete but doing it manually
10 >>> can take quite a while. Is there a tool that I can run and it clean out
11 >>> those files itself instead of me doing it one line at a time? I figure
12 >>> there has to be someone out there that has already done this, surely.
13 >>>
14 >>> Anyone have any info on such a beast?
15 >>>
16 >>> Thanks much.
17 >>>
18 >>> Dale
19 >>>
20 >>> :-) :-)
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >> Hi Dale,
25 >>
26 >> You're looking for enalyze from app-portage/gentoolkit.
27 >> Have a look in the manual, ENALYZE(1) for usage.
28 >>
29 >> DESCRIPTION
30 >> Enalyze is a collection of modules for analyzing the state
31 >> of installed Gentoo packages for USE flags or
32 >> keywords used for installation, and their current masking status.
33 >> It can also optionally (re)generate new /etc/portage/package.*
34 >> files.
35 >>
36 >> Kind Regards,
37 >> -Camisa
38 >
39 > That looks veeeerrryyyy interesting. That just may be what I need.
40 > It seems to do it backwards from what I was expecting but I'll give it
41 > a shot, once I read how to use it. ;-)
42 >
43 > Thanks much.
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
47 > :-) :-)
50 OK. Did a little reading on this and gave it a test run. It doesn't
51 generate quite what I was expecting. This is a sample of what it generates.
54 kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools ~amd64
55 kde-plasma/kde-gtk-config ~amd64
56 kde-plasma/kdecoration ~amd64
57 kde-plasma/kdeplasma-addons ~amd64
58 kde-plasma/kgamma ~amd64
59 kde-plasma/khotkeys ~amd64
60 kde-plasma/kinfocenter ~amd64
61 kde-plasma/kmenuedit ~amd64
62 kde-plasma/kscreen ~amd64
63 kde-plasma/kscreenlocker ~amd64
64 kde-plasma/ksshaskpass ~amd64
65 kde-plasma/ksysguard ~amd64
66 kde-plasma/kwallet-pam ~amd64
67 kde-plasma/kwayland-integration ~amd64
68 kde-plasma/kwin ~amd64
69 kde-plasma/kwrited ~amd64
70 kde-plasma/libkscreen ~amd64
73 This is a example of what I currently have in my keyword file.
76 # required by kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.6.4::gentoo
77 # required by @selected
78 # required by @world (argument)
79 =kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.6.4 ~amd64
80 # required by kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.4::gentoo
81 # required by kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.6.4::gentoo
82 # required by @selected
83 # required by @world (argument)
84 =kde-frameworks/karchive-5.22.0 ~amd64
85 # required by kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.6.4::gentoo
86 # required by @selected
87 # required by @world (argument)
88 =kde-plasma/kinfocenter-5.6.4 ~amd64
89 # required by kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.6.4::gentoo
90 # required by kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.6.4::gentoo
91 # required by @selected
92 # required by @world (argument)
93 =kde-plasma/kwin-5.6.4 ~amd64
96 The output of what emerge gives includes a version. The enalyze program
97 seems to leave that out which may lead to upgrades that I'm not looking
98 for yet.
99
100 What I was hoping for, something that would for example see that
101 plasma-workspace-5.6.4 is either no longer installed or no longer
102 keyworded and can be removed from the file and then remove it.
103 Honestly, I'm not a scripting guru but I sort of think it would be a
104 hard thing to do given that basically every line would have to be
105 checked. Also, the commented part above it would be deleted to in a
106 ideal world. That to would be difficult since not all lines have those
107 above it.
108
109 Hmmmm. Gonna see what else it can do.
110
111 Dale
112