From: Hazen Valliant-Saunders <hazenvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e17 overlay bug
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:42:24
1 Good Day all;
2
3 Sorry to sound like a luddite;
4
5 Where would I create my own user overlay? (so I may go about fiddling with
6 the settings?)
7
8 Regards,
9 Hazen.
10
11 On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <
12 please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
13
14 > >> I've found that the recent EINA library release for e17 has broken just
15 > >> about everything.
16 > >>
17 > >> Gentoo's overlay system should be simple enough to modify however after
18 > >> reading the fine manual I am no closer to understanding the appropriate
19 > >> course of action to create eina as a dependency in the overlay (I've
20 > bugged
21 > >> vapier@g.o to no avail)
22 > >
23 > > Mike is usually pretty quick with these things.
24 >
25 > "Mike"?!, What, Vapier's formal name is "Mike"?
26 >
27 > Back to important stuff, is the overlay in good shape (apart from
28 > this specific problem)? For example, is it compatible with Portage's
29 > new requirements for Manifest?
30 >
31 > Also, why are the snapshot ebuilds so horribly outdated? Is it because
32 > Vapier is too busy to update them or because he just thinks that e17
33 > is like Mplayer, a project where the developers actually take care to
34 > keep the svn code in good shape (only committing working code)?
35 >
36 > My computer has some bugs*. I am trying Xfce instead of e17 to see if
37 > the bugs were e17's fault, but the bugs continue. I wonder if I should
39 > 1) It is *very* fast and *very* lightweight (even when compared to Xfce)
40 > 2) It is vastly configurable and does things Xfce does not (like, for
41 > a quick example, remembering per-window configuration, fine tuning
42 > window borders, and even making windows borderless)
43 > but
44 > 1) It is unreleased; users have to compile code from svn.
45 > 2) Outputs a truckload of text to .xsession-errors. Does it mean that
46 > the code is full of little problems that cause warnings? Xfce, in
47 > comparison, only outputs two "assertion failed"s
48 > 3) Does not seem to have a Trash Bin or a System tray. I care little
49 > about these, though (and I imagine there are plugins to provide them,
50 > but I didn't bother to search).
51 >
52 > Do you think a user who expects a reasonably stable and bug-free
53 > environment (say, a user who accepts the latest Ubuntu, instead of
54 > demanding the stability of Debian stable) can rely on e17?
55 >
56 > *Regarding my bugs, they are mostly X-related. When I have time I will
57 > dive in xorg.conf documentation. Also, maybe they are related to the
58 > fact that some of my X-related packages may have been built with
59 > different USE flags (I have disabled the IPv6 USE flag at some point).
60 > I will recompile them all, either when Gentoo updates Xorg (which, by
61 > the way, is taking a long time) or when Gentoo updates GCC (which is
62 > also taking a very long time. I hope that when Debian Stable is
63 > released with GCC 4.3, it will motivate Gentoo to declare GCC 4.3.2
64 > stable).
65 >
66 > --
67 > Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds
73 Hazen Valliant-Saunders
74 IT/IS Consultant
75 (613) 355-5977