From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e17 overlay bug
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:37:48
1 >> I've found that the recent EINA library release for e17 has broken just
2 >> about everything.
3 >>
4 >> Gentoo's overlay system should be simple enough to modify however after
5 >> reading the fine manual I am no closer to understanding the appropriate
6 >> course of action to create eina as a dependency in the overlay (I've bugged
7 >> vapier@g.o to no avail)
8 >
9 > Mike is usually pretty quick with these things.
10
11 "Mike"?!, What, Vapier's formal name is "Mike"?
12
13 Back to important stuff, is the overlay in good shape (apart from
14 this specific problem)? For example, is it compatible with Portage's
15 new requirements for Manifest?
16
17 Also, why are the snapshot ebuilds so horribly outdated? Is it because
18 Vapier is too busy to update them or because he just thinks that e17
19 is like Mplayer, a project where the developers actually take care to
20 keep the svn code in good shape (only committing working code)?
21
22 My computer has some bugs*. I am trying Xfce instead of e17 to see if
23 the bugs were e17's fault, but the bugs continue. I wonder if I should
25 1) It is *very* fast and *very* lightweight (even when compared to Xfce)
26 2) It is vastly configurable and does things Xfce does not (like, for
27 a quick example, remembering per-window configuration, fine tuning
28 window borders, and even making windows borderless)
29 but
30 1) It is unreleased; users have to compile code from svn.
31 2) Outputs a truckload of text to .xsession-errors. Does it mean that
32 the code is full of little problems that cause warnings? Xfce, in
33 comparison, only outputs two "assertion failed"s
34 3) Does not seem to have a Trash Bin or a System tray. I care little
35 about these, though (and I imagine there are plugins to provide them,
36 but I didn't bother to search).
37
38 Do you think a user who expects a reasonably stable and bug-free
39 environment (say, a user who accepts the latest Ubuntu, instead of
40 demanding the stability of Debian stable) can rely on e17?
41
42 *Regarding my bugs, they are mostly X-related. When I have time I will
43 dive in xorg.conf documentation. Also, maybe they are related to the
44 fact that some of my X-related packages may have been built with
45 different USE flags (I have disabled the IPv6 USE flag at some point).
46 I will recompile them all, either when Gentoo updates Xorg (which, by
47 the way, is taking a long time) or when Gentoo updates GCC (which is
48 also taking a very long time. I hope that when Debian Stable is
49 released with GCC 4.3, it will motivate Gentoo to declare GCC 4.3.2
50 stable).
53 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds